KDE-Connect and KDED

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Wed Mar 5 16:49:03 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 04 March 2014 13:02:57 Yuri Samoilenko wrote:
> I think kdeconnect must operate like any linux/UNIX service(/etc/init.d/*
> as example). Exception is in that /etc/init.d/* is system services,
> required root access to manage them, but kdeconnect is user service. The
> option that users can do is:
> 1. start/stop service
> 2. autostart service when login
I don't see why anybody would care on restarting/starting/stopping kde-
connect.
It is something build in into your KDE session, if you don't want it just kill
it, no?
We should use almost no cpu/ram when idle anyway.

> I look on KDED as on simple service manager with user interface fits
> options above. Starting-on-deman is unnecessary(for kdeconnect) facility.
>
> >> Also, kdeconnect should be smart enough to kill itself if there is
>
> nothing to
> Hmm, no. kdeconnect daemon must running all the time to plug current
> device(desktop too) into kdeconnect-network. For example I need to share
> info not only with my phone(with android) but with my notebook(with
> kubuntu+kdeconnect aboard). So daemons must be running on desktop and
> notebook all the time.
>

> Sorry for possible misunderstanding of you mail.
KDED modules are thought so we can put there logic that will be IDLE most of
the times but we still need to have it running all the time. Thing for example
of receiving files via Bluetooth, we need to be listening for "incoming files"
all the time but we do not really need a new process just to do that.

Translated to how we could use it on kde-connect, it would be perfect for the
use case of "We need to listen for new devices all the time". So KDED would:
-Emit broadcast messages
-Listen for broadcast messages

The moment somebody wants to actually talk with us, we fire up kde-connect and
let it do the heavy lifting work.

When no clients are connected, then kde-connect dies, and KDED remains
listening for new connections.

What do you think?