KDE-Connect and KDED

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Mon Mar 3 18:57:32 UTC 2014

Hi there

The KDED as we use it right now is pretty much useless, it only starts/stops
the kdeconnect process, something that could be achieved in different ways
reducing dependency and complexity.

As I see things we have two options:

1-Remove KDED and control kdeconnect in a different way
2-Use KDED for its purpose.

1: This is quite simple, we can do everything we do there via dbus +
autostart, and we have kcm to configure the later rather easy.

2: This is more complex but it is my favorite, basically the KDED should do
nothing but listen for activity, the moment something happens then we spawn
kdeconnect process. However we define activity is up to us, we could start with
a simple "there are reachable devices or not".

Also, kdeconnect should be smart enough to kill itself if there is nothing to
do.

What do you think? I'm up for doing the job.

Cheers !