KDE apps not using system printer settings

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 27 15:47:24 BST 2018

Here's a snippet from my internal wiki page on printing troubleshooting...
(FWIW, i've battled this type of issue before, sometimes left with just head-scratching :-( )

libpaper

On Linux systems with the libpaper package installed, the system default papersize is stored in /etc/papersize.

You can get the value that will be used in libpapersize supporting applications with:
    paperconf

or if the paperconf package is not installed....
    echo ${PAPERSIZE:-$(cat ${PAPERCONF:-/etc/papersize} 2>/dev/null || echo "NO DEFAULT PAPERSIZE")}

I.e you can specify an environment variable PAPERSIZE with a valid paper size (see man -s 5 papersize for valid papersizes, or type 'paperconf -a' to list them), or you can specify an override to the system's default papersize configuration file (/etc/papersize) by using the PAPERCONF environment variable to point to a file of your choosing that contains the name of a valid paper size.
Other Possible Desktop Environment (DE) configurations

It could be other things setting this value, so you might do:
    find ~/.config/ ~/.local/ ~/.kde*/ -xdev -type f -exec grep -i -e paper -e a4 {} +  2>&1 | less

To see if there's any standard desktop configurations that refer to "paper" or "a4" (if you're always getting A4 printouts).
NOTE: this is likely to generate a LOT of noise

Also, CUPS may be configured to default a Printer to a specific size, either globally or individually.  Try these:

$ lpoptions | tr ' ' '\n' | grep -i -e letter -e a4 -e paper -e size
HPOption_PaperPolicy=Scale

$ lpoptions -l | grep -i -e size
PageSize/Page Size: *Letter Legal Executive HalfLetter w612h935 4x6 5x7 5x8 A4 A5 A6 RA4 B5 B6 W283H425 w553h765 w522h737 w558h774 DoublePostcard Postcard Env10 Env9 EnvMonarch EnvISOB5 EnvC5 EnvC6 EnvDL Custom.WIDTHxHEIGHT
HPBookletPageSize/Paper For Booklet: *Letter Legal Executive HalfLetter w612h935 4x6 5x7 5x8 A4 A5 RA4 B5 B6 W283H425 w553h765 w522h737 w558h774 Postcard DoublePostcard
HPwmFontSize/Size: pt24 pt30 pt36 pt42 *pt48 pt54 pt60 pt66 pt72 pt78 pt84 pt90

add a '-P {printername}' to lpoptions (prior to '-l') to look at settings for specific printers

The options that are '*'-ed are default settings.

--stephen