KDE apps not using system printer settings

Bug Reporter bugreporter11 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 16:32:30 BST 2018

Thank you Stephan. That's helpful info. Here's what I have found so far:

$ cat ~/.cups/lpoptions
Dest HP_X576dw_1 Duplex=DuplexNoTumble HPPJLOutputMode=GeneralOffice
HPPJLSaturation=-1 InputSlot=Tray2 MediaType=Plain
Dest HP_X576dw_2 Duplex=DuplexNoTumble HPPJLOutputMode=GeneralOffice
HPPJLSaturation=-1 InputSlot=Tray2 MediaType=Plain
Dest HP_X576dw_3 Duplex=DuplexNoTumble HPPJLOutputMode=GeneralOffice
HPPJLSaturation=-1 InputSlot=Tray2 MediaType=Plain

# find /etc/cups/ -xdev -type f -exec grep -i -e paper -e a4 {} +  2>&1 |
less
and/or look at each ppd file directly:
# less /etc/cups/ppd/HP_X576dw_1.ppd
For each printer, it lists:
*DefaultPaperDimension: Letter
*DefaultPageRegion: Letter
*DefaultImageableArea: Letter
*PaperDimension Letter/US Letter: "612 792"
*VariablePaperSize: False

$ find ~/.config/ ~/.local/ ~/.kde*/ -xdev -type f -exec grep -i -e paper
-e a4 {} +  2>&1 | less
(did not find anything revealing)

# cat /etc/papersize
# Simply write the paper name. See papersize(5) for possible values
(that is the entire file)

# paperconf
letter

# lpoptions | tr ' ' '\n' | grep -i -e letter -e a4 -e paper -e size
#
(no output)

# cat /etc/cups/lpoptions
cat: /etc/cups/lpoptions: No such file or directory

It does not appear that anything is setting an A4 default, yet every
printer on every computer is defaulting to A4 now. This started a few
months ago.