Trouble with Desktop-Icons

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 16:03:57 BST 2018

On Sunday July 29 2018 16:17:13 Andreas Meyer wrote:

>but nothing happens when I log in. I don't know if this . xinitrc is ever executed.

The first thing to do would be to figure out which of your KDE/Plasma processes have xinit or init as the parent process, and if there's something like startkde among them. If so, that should be the last command in your .xinitrc file. Otherwise, if you just "fall through" at the end of that script, nothing will happen indeed when you try to log in. Instead, the login greeter will reappear almost immediately.

>Can I put a command like this into the .xinitrc?

Yes. It's a regular shell script, so you can put (almost) any command that you would type in a shell.

R.