Trouble with Desktop-Icons

Andreas Meyer a.meyer at nimmini.de
Sun Jul 29 15:17:13 BST 2018

Hello!

René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> schrieb am 29.07.18 um 10:15:18 Uhr:

> >I don't know where to look or to find a login.script or where to store a plasma startup script.
>
> Check the manpage of the shell you use (bash, [t]csh, zsh etc) to see what options you have to execute things on login and logout. Plasma startup scripts are controlled via system settings/Workspace/Startup and Shutdown.
>
> >How would xinit be involved?
>
> Unless you use Wayland, this is how the X11 environment that displays your windows is started. You may already have a .xinitrc file in your home directory, which is a shell script that can execute any kind of command; the only requirement is that the last command keeps running until you log out. On a Plasma4 desktop that is the `startkde` command which bootstraps the KDE desktop. I use this script myself to ensure that the X11 resource database (xrdb) is set up exactly the way I want.

There is a .xinitrc.template. I copied it to .xinitrc and commented out for testing

 if test -S "$SSH_AUTH_SOCK" -a -x "$SSH_ASKPASS"; then
       ssh-add < /dev/null
 fi

but nothing happens when I log in. I don't know if this . xinitrc is ever executed.

Can I put a command like this into the .xinitrc?

cp /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.sav /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

> Two big advantages to using this file for force-restoring a Plasma setting:
> - you're certain it is done before the Plasma component in question is even started
> - you don't have to worry about doing it only once per session
>
> R.

  Andreas

--
PGP-Fingerprint: D392 5D21 0299 63D7 5BAE 4562 1E56 B2EA 81A2 59F1