disable akonadi

Draciron Smith draciron at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 17:41:55 BST 2018

I had the same issue. Akondi was clobbering my system and making it utterly
unusable. It is a resource MONSTER.  I wouldn't even consider running it
without at least 16 gigs of ram and the way I multitask I doubt that's
enough.

I got it stopped, don't remember exactly what I did but I think I followed
this
https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#ApplicationTable

~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc change StartServer=true to
StartServer=false

Should keep it from autostarting once you disable the Akondi enabled apps
from kicking off.

I did leave Baloo running, it doesn't seem to kick off the server and all
the related garbage and the default clock widgit is also running and
doesn't seem to cause me any difficulty. Every time I boot which isn't
often I still go in and kill a bunch of processes.

Most of the apps I never use anyway. My phone serves as my contact manager.
I switched to web based email years ago. Though I have gigs of KDE mail and
mail I'd love to convert to KDE mail format that I cannot open on a KDE 5
machine for fear of starting Akondi and bringing my machine to it's knees.