KWin5 and colour scheme special application setting

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Mar 13 02:46:35 GMT 2017

René J.V. Bertin posted on Sun, 12 Mar 2017 12:22:08 +0100 as excerpted:

> Hi,
>
> I just noticed something weird with KWin5's feature that allows to force
> special settings to a given application. I thought I'd use it to give
> Spotify windows a dark titlebar to match the application's dark design.
> That works fine in itself (with the "Breeze Dark" palette), but KWin's
> context menu doesn't adapt completely: the menu item text is rendered in
> the palette's light colour but the menu background keeps my main
> palette's almost white colour. The result is barely readable.
>
> Is this a glitch in my widget style (QtCurve) or a glitch in KWin?

AFAIK the menu... any (kde/qt anyway, gtk plays by different rules) menu,
including the window operations menu accessed from the window
decoration... is controlled by the widget style, in combination with the
color scheme, of course.

Which would make it a glitch in either the widget style or the color
scheme.

Do note that the way the color schemes interact with widget styles and
window decorations is rather complicated, with some elements of some
styles and decorations being a merge of two color scheme elements or one
color scheme element and something specific to the theme, so color scheme
settings don't always directly apply unmodified, which makes editing them
quite tricky, paying attention to the readability of the display samples
-- if something's not readable there, there's going to be something not
readable in your setup, tho it may be a combination of elements actually
seen only rarely.  To some extent it's trial and error.

What I'd do is make sure whatever color scheme I had was saved so I could
get back to it, then try other color schemes.  If others, particularly
those shipped with kde/plasma itself, have the same problem, it's likely
a problem with the widget style (poor choices of color role matchups and/
or style modifications of those colors that don't work well with the
chosen color roles they're modifying).  If the color themes that kde
ships seem to work fine, then it's a glitch in the custom color scheme
you were using.