Move window to this or all desktop

Klaus Vink Slott list-s at vink-slott.dk
Wed Mar 1 20:31:55 GMT 2017

Duncan skrev den 2017-03-01 08:29:

> Klaus Vink Slott posted on Mon, 27 Feb 2017 21:30:50 +0100 as
> excerpted:
>
>> Hi - I need a little help with this:
>>
>> I use 4 virtual desktops and often pulls a windows from another
>> desktop
>> to the currently active one.
>> - when I right
>> click on the program in the taskbar and select "Move to desktop" it
>> makes no difference if I select "Move to this" or "Move to all"
>> (reverse
>> translated from Danish). The selected window/program always ends up on
>> all desktops.

>> OS: openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE: 4.14.25
>
> I'm not familiar enough with OpenSuSE's versioning to have a clue what
> that actually means in terms of dates or how it maps to upstream kde
> releases, but FWIW...

I was a bit confused to when I searched for the version. I think I lost
all Desktop customization when I updated. So I kind of thought that I
was now running plasma 5 - but was unsure how find out. So I resorted to
the old way and checked Konqueror "About KDE" I also tried "rpm -qa |
grep kde" but that did not make it any clearer.

> So if that kde 4.14.25, which seems to be the kdelibs version (I have
> kdelibs 4.14.28 installed here, gentoo with the gentoo/kde overlay and
> live-git frameworks/plasma/apps, but still release kdelibs4), is indeed
> correct for your plasma desktop as well, and you're not actually
> running
> a plasma5 desktop, then it would seem your desktop is out of upstream
> kde
> support range, and you'll need to get support from your distro.
>
> OTOH, that kdelibs version isn't /too/ far behind, and it's possible
> you're actually running plasma5. What does plasmashell --version
> report? (If you don't have a plasmashell command, only plasma-desktop,
> then you are indeed running a plasma4 desktop, but plasmashell
> indicates
> a plasma5 version of some sort, since it's a plasma5 binary.)
klaus at blob:~> plasmashell --version
plasmashell 5.8.3

By OpenSUSE standards LEAP (this is what I am running) is regarded as
the stable release whereas Tumbleweed is the rolling release with all
the new shiny stuff.

> Meanwhile, as I said I'm running live-git plasma5 here, tho not updated
> since the 6th, with plasmashell --version reporting 5.9.90.

> I don't actually run a taskbar at all, so I can't confirm behavior with
> it, but I do use multiple virtual desktops, and both the task switcher
> (alt-tab...) and task list (desktop menu task switcher option) switch
> the appropriate desktops when I select an app on them. Then, with the
> appropriate app active, I can either title-bar-scroll to move it to a
> different desktop, or hit the appropriate hotkey to move it to whatever
> desktop. Those functions work as expected, but as I said, I don't use a
> taskbar here, so can't confirm either way what its behavior is.
Thanks for your observations, I think I might try to give Thumbleweed a
spin on a senodary mashine.

--
Regards
Klaus