Move window to this or all desktop

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Mar 1 07:29:36 GMT 2017

Klaus Vink Slott posted on Mon, 27 Feb 2017 21:30:50 +0100 as excerpted:

> Hi - I need a little help with this:
>
> I use 4 virtual desktops and often pulls a windows from another desktop
> to the currently active one. But lately - it took a while before I
> realized that I did not just hit the wrong menu item - when I right
> click on the program in the taskbar and select "Move to desktop" it
> makes no difference if I select "Move to this" or "Move to all" (reverse
> translated from Danish). The selected window/program always ends up on
> all desktops.
>
> I would like to confirm if this is a generic bug, I see it on al my
> machines, but then again: They are all on ore or less the same version
> and I have not found any bug reports on this issue.
>
> OS: openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE: 4.14.25

I'm not familiar enough with OpenSuSE's versioning to have a clue what
that actually means in terms of dates or how it maps to upstream kde
releases, but FWIW...

KDE 4, as a whole and as a desktop environment, has been out of support
upstream kde support for awhile now, tho kdelibs continues to be
supported in deep maintenance mode, generally only bugfixes, for the
numbers of kde4-based applications that don't have frameworks-5 ported
versions yet.  And of course those applications, tho fewer over time,
continue to be supported, with a proposed kdelibs4 deep maintenance mode
cutoff of sometime next year (2018), IIRC.

So if that kde 4.14.25, which seems to be the kdelibs version (I have
kdelibs 4.14.28 installed here, gentoo with the gentoo/kde overlay and
live-git frameworks/plasma/apps, but still release kdelibs4), is indeed
correct for your plasma desktop as well, and you're not actually running
a plasma5 desktop, then it would seem your desktop is out of upstream kde
support range, and you'll need to get support from your distro.

OTOH, that kdelibs version isn't /too/ far behind, and it's possible
you're actually running plasma5.  What does plasmashell --version
report?  (If you don't have a plasmashell command, only plasma-desktop,
then you are indeed running a plasma4 desktop, but plasmashell indicates
a plasma5 version of some sort, since it's a plasma5 binary.)

Meanwhile, as I said I'm running live-git plasma5 here, tho not updated
since the 6th, with plasmashell --version reporting 5.9.90.

I don't actually run a taskbar at all, so I can't confirm behavior with
it, but I do use multiple virtual desktops, and both the task switcher
(alt-tab...) and task list (desktop menu task switcher option) switch to
the appropriate desktops when I select an app on them.  Then, with the
appropriate app active, I can either title-bar-scroll to move it to a
different desktop, or hit the appropriate hotkey to move it to whatever
desktop.  Those functions work as expected, but as I said, I don't use a
taskbar here, so can't confirm either way what its behavior is.