Making the system dbus aware of a "parallel KF5 prefix"

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 11:02:37 BST 2016

Hi,

I've been building and installing Qt5 and select KF5 applications to /opt/local for use "under" my trusty (sic) old KDE4 desktop. I build with full rpaths so I don't have to fool around with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or ldconfig. My session dbus daemon is perfectly happy to expose the services from /opt/local after I created a session-local.conf as described at

https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source/Test_plasma#Configure_dbus

but the system dbus doesn't play so nicely.

After creating a system-local.conf and sending a SIGHUP to the system dbus-daemon, I see things like this:

%> qdbus --system org.kde.kcontrol.kcmkwallet5
Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.FailedToSetup
Failed to setup environment correctly
Exit 2

Without system-local.conf I just get an error that the service isn't found, and if I move the servivedir and includedir lines from system-local.conf to system.conf things work as expected.

What am I missing here? Is that environment error a result of wrong ownership and/or permissions on one of the files or directories involved? AFAICT mine are identical to the system files and directories in that aspect: owned and writable only by root.

Thanks,
René