Help required to get started.

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Thu Sep 8 18:13:41 BST 2016

Hi,

Kevin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday, 2016-09-07, 04:39:44, Duncan wrote:
>> Aayush Saxena posted on Tue, 06 Sep 2016 23:28:12 +0530 as excerpted:
>>> Hi...I am new to open source and would like to contribute to kde.
>>>
>>> I have basic work experience of working in Qt Creator with C++. Though I
>>> don't know much but would like to learn. I also have plans to work for
>>> projects in Season of KDE and Google summer of code.
>> Kevin, who is a kde dev who spends time on the lists as well, will likely
>> be along shortly with a reply as well.  He may have more to say.  But the
>> above should at least give you a reasonable place to start.
> :-)
>
> Thanks Duncan, your posting contained already most of what I would have
> written myself.
>
> One thing I would add is the recommendation to subscribe to the developer
> list(s), e.g. kde-devel, as those are ready by more developers and thus
> increase the chance of getting help when the need arises.
>
> In general the best way to start contributing is to find something  you are
> using yourself and/or which is important to you, and then get this particular
> program built and running from the respective git development branch.
>
> I personally started by testing and later fixing some of the KDE games that I
> happend to play at that time :-)
>
> Smaller code bases are usually easier to get into, but they might also not
> have as many open tasks as bigger ones.
>
> Side from https://games.kde.org/ other modules with smaller applications are
> https://edu.kde.org/ and https://utils.kde.org/ but you are of course welcome
> to start at any of the larger ones as well.
For your knowledge, most of the relevant information for newcomers can
be found here: https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved instead of
Techbase. It's the most up-to-date piece of documentation.

Techbase contains only some (mostly deprecated) tutorials + some
software specific documentation (Marble, ...)

Cheers
Olivier