kwin (4.11.12) idle CPU usage - persistent replace with kwin_gles?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 16:48:34 GMT 2016

Hi again,

So it seems kwin_gles really does work better for me nowadays. I've looked into making it the default WM, but cannot get that to stick.
The "default applications" KCM doesn't give me the option to pick a kwin alternative, and setting windowManager=kwin_gles in ksmserverrc has no effect either (during login).

The most annoying aspect of this is that my windows are not restored to the correct virtual desktop (i.e. if kwin_gles ran when I logged off, and kwin is started when I log back on).

Do I really have to resort to symlinking or otherwise replacing the actual binary?

R.