kwin (4.11.12) idle CPU usage

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Jan 27 08:45:55 GMT 2016

On Tuesday, 2016-01-26, 15:33:12, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday January 26 2016 23:07:27 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> >If you have compositing activated then the compositor will have to create a
> >new frame when window contents change.
>
> That still doesn't tell me why it'd have to do that for parts that it is not
> concerned with, but that also sounds like it'd be TMI :)

Right.
The compositor's main concern are windows, as it controls if, where and how
their contents are rendered.

So if any window, in your case Chrome's, claims to have new content, then the
compositor will get notified. If it is a window that is currently visible, then
the compositor will have to update the screen content accordingly.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring