kwin (4.11.12) idle CPU usage

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Jan 27 06:54:11 GMT 2016

René J.V. Bertin posted on Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:33:12 -0800 as excerpted:

> On Tuesday January 26 2016 23:07:27 Kevin Krammer wrote:
>
>>If you have compositing activated then the compositor will have to
>>create a new frame when window contents change.
>
> Is there a possibility to turn off compositing for Chrome windows? I
> only see something labelled "block compositing" but it's not clear
> whether that "block" is the verb or the noun there.

It's verb.

But the option applies to the entire desktop, turning compositing off for
all windows when the window with the block transparency option activated
is displayed, or even if it's not displayed as it's on a different
desktop or below some other window.

Thus it's not an option I'd consider viable, as I'm multi-monitor here,
so even full-screen windows (which were the original compositing blocker,
for games and the like) are "full screen" only to a single monitor, not
the entire desktop, and I actually use things like transparency to allow
me to type into one window while using the content of another window, one
viewed _thru_ the other, as a reference, and I never want compositing off
for the entire desktop, here.

But it might work better for you, if you have less need of compositing
effects like transparency and don't have a multi-monitor desktop so full-
screen really is the entire desktop, and thus aren't bothered as much by
blocking compositing for the entire desktop.