kwin (4.11.12) idle CPU usage

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jan 26 17:20:38 GMT 2016

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:50:05 +0200 as excerpted:

> Anyway, since you configured top to not update every second, then,
> indeed something is fishy.

Correct.

> There's a "Show paint" desktop effect which
> shows which areas of the screen kwin is repainting. I've no idea how to
> interpret the results though. The screen just has weird flashing colors
> with no indications where the repaints are...

Those weird flashing colors /are/ the indications of where the repaints
are.  Every time a repaint occurs, the color of an area changes, so the
more flashing you see and the bigger area that's flashing, the more
repainting is being done and the higher both kwin_x11 and X's usage
should be.

Given that he said quitting Chrome dramatically reduced kwin's CPU usage,
I'd guess that with this effect enabled, Chrome will be flashing like
crazy.

(Tho FWIW I use firefox, not chrome, which I couldn't use in any case as
it's servantware and I couldn't agree to the EULA, etc.  I'd use chromium
if I were to switch to a chrome-family browser, as at least chromium is
freedomware.)