kwin (4.11.12) idle CPU usage

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 17:40:15 GMT 2016

On Tuesday January 26 2016 17:20:38 Duncan wrote:

>more flashing you see and the bigger area that's flashing, the more
>repainting is being done and the higher both kwin_x11 and X's usage
>should be.

Maybe, but *why*? Kwin isn't supposed to do anything with window contents in my configuration, when I'm not interacting with the system.

>Given that he said quitting Chrome dramatically reduced kwin's CPU usage,
>I'd guess that with this effect enabled, Chrome will be flashing like
>crazy.

It isn't. The whole window rect is indeed flashing whenever a tab is active, but nothing happens when that is not the case. According to chrome's own task manager only the central browser process is active when the browser really ought to be idle (around 10% of whatever) plus around 2% for the GPU task. I can kill the GPU task (only effect is it'll restart and stay at 0%) but not the central process.
I recall having seen what appeared to be tiny offscreen windows looking at an xwininfo dump recently, maybe those are the culprit. I'd hope kwin would be clever enough not to attempt to composite anything with invisible windows though.