kwin (4.11.12) idle CPU usage

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 15:50:05 GMT 2016

On 26/01/16 17:39, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday January 26 2016 17:09:51 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

>> Isn't it compositing the output of top, as top updates the screen by
>> displaying CPU usage?
>>
>> You know, chickens and eggs.
>
> I'd hope not; I use the tty version of top so it is supposed to update only the window content not the window decoration. I had already disabled all thumbnail generation I could find when I did a previous hunt for kwin "hoggers". BTW, even with a top refresh interval of 10s kwin keeps showing up so indeed something else is going on.

kwin is responsible for the whole screen, not just decorations.

Anyway, since you configured top to not update every second, then,
indeed something is fishy. There's a "Show paint" desktop effect which
shows which areas of the screen kwin is repainting. I've no idea how to
interpret the results though. The screen just has weird flashing colors
with no indications where the repaints are...

Maybe some expert can provide insight.