How do I use kscreen?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Nov 4 10:35:16 GMT 2014

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Tue, 04 Nov 2014 12:00:08 +0200 as excerpted:

>> What about (from a konsole or other terminal window)...
>>
>> kcmshell4 kcm_kscreen
>
> It brings up an almost empty window:
>
>    http://s9.postimg.org/j1dlhy3gv/display.png
>
> So kscreen works, but cannot offer configuration for my monitor, it
> seems?

Actually, I believe it's working, but the interface is... let's say...
minimal and not entirely self-documenting, tho I think it's
/supposed/ to be intuitive.

It's arguably at least /slightly/ more obvious if you're running multiple
monitors, tho even then it's definitely a non-traditional GUI, not really
obvious at all to computer users used to more traditional and verbose UI
widgets, tho it works well enough once you figure out how it is actually
/supposed/ to work and bend your mind to /that/ UI mindset instead of the
more traditional one you and I are both preconditionally bent to due to
years of historic usage.

1) Clicking the big "i" should popup a label on each connected monitor,
displaying the output it's connected to.  With multiple monitors, that
lets you know which of the output-labeled rectangles you're interested in.

2) With multiple monitors connected, there would be multiple rectangles,
each sized and positioned relative to the others based on its current
resolution and logical size, and labeled with the output powering that
monitor and the brand of the connected monitor.

3) To logically reposition the displays you simply drag the associated
rectangle.  They reposition more or less freely, but snap into place like
"magnetic windows" as they approach the edge of another monitor/output
representation rectangle.

4) I've not actually tried it, but I /believe/ the "unify outputs" button
will do just that, effectively piling all the output rectangles on top of
each other, probably anchored at the top-left corner if they aren't all
the same resolution.

And the critical bit you're actually interested in...

5) Clicking on any of the labeled rectangles in the top half, loads its
settings into the bottom (otherwise empty) half. (!!)

*NOW* you can actually see and adjust the settings as you are used to!
=:^)