How to get a bigger icon in the application switcher

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri May 2 03:44:41 BST 2014

Frank Steinmetzger posted on Thu, 01 May 2014 13:53:21 +0200 as excerpted:

>> FWIW, I'm running kde-live -9999 versions (from the kde overlay) of
>> most packages here(tho I've not updated for about 10 days I'd guess),
>> so it's very likely I'm running a newer kde than you.  But I did
>> experiment a bit with the large-icons switcher, and have a large aurora
>> icon here. (I have the bindist flag on so get the generic aurora name
>> and icons, not the firefox branding.)
>
> Aurora is the not-yet-published beta, innit? I suppose then you’re using
> an out-of-tree ebuild, because it’s not in portage and you’re speaking
> of use flags.

In terms of firefox upstream, mozilla, yes, aurora is beta (or is it
alpha?, it's pre-release, anyway).

But that's not what aurora is in gentoo.  In gentoo, it has to do with
the bindist flag, since for trademark protection reasons, mozilla does
not allow distributors to call patched versions firefox, unless they get
official mozilla pre-approval for their patches.  Since that reduces
distro flexibility and even with a cooperative upstream the additional
bureaucracy has the potential to delay security patches, etc, some
distros choose to call their "firefox" something else in ordered to
continue to be able to apply patches under distro control, while others
either don't apply their own patches (and may in fact ship the upstream
built binary itself, since they don't patch it anyway) or take a bit
longer and jump thru the hoops for approval.

That's why on debian and some of its deriviatives, firefox is called
iceweasel.  They apply their own patches without jumping thru the
official approval hoops, and thus can't call it firefox.

Gentoo did something similar when the bindist USE flag was enabled for
awhile, but at some point I guess a gentoo/firefox maintainer (possibly
after seeing a bug filed by a user) realized there was no such
restriction on the aurora name and artwork, which is really quite
beautiful indeed (I actually prefer it to the official firefox artwork,
tho that too is far from ugly!), and that the sources tarball already
ships with the aurora artwork too, so no additional tarball required, and
now the gentoo firefox ebuilds simply enable the aurora branding when
USE=bindist.

All that being the long form of what I put in the parenthetical above,
explaining that I got the aurora icon in the task switcher instead of the
firefox icon, because I have USE=bindist set. =:^)

<grumble -- not directed at you> People wonder why my posts are so long.
It's because almost invariably whenever I try to be brief, I end up
posting the long explanation I had omitted in the original post in the
interest of brevity, anyway!  So for the most part I've given up trying
to be brief.  If people don't like my style they always have the right to
killfile me! </grumble>

Tho as it happens I /do/ have the gentoo/mozilla overlay enabled, and
/do/ occasionally run pre-releases from there.  But the gentoo/mozilla
project apparently either doesn't follow upstream as closely as the
gentoo/kde project does, or they don't have anywhere near the number of
developers and overlay users helping out, so a lot of the time there's no
pre-release available even in the overlay, and there's definitely not a
firefox-9999 live-build available, while kde has live-builds for trunk
and for branch as well.

So I while I do run the gentoo/mozilla overlay, I don't generally run
firefox pre-releases, not because I don't want to, but because they're
not available for me to do so.  =:^(  I do run the betas when they're
available, and would at least try a live build if it were available as
well, altho I can't actually say I'd stick with it until I could try it
to see just how stable it actually is.  I know there's the upstream
nightly-build binaries that a lot of leading/bleeding edge firefox users
run, but I actually prefer to exercise my software freedoms and build it
myself, so...

(Meanwhile, I've actually not updated in near two weeks now, as I've been
busy catching up on other things.  So while I know firefox-29 is out, I'm
actually still running 28.  I haven't seen any big stories about possible
security issues, so...)