Select IM..?

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Mon Mar 24 09:57:23 GMT 2014

On Monday 24 March 2014 07:48 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday, 2014-03-23, 23:39:22, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> > In the context menu of every Line
> > Edit or TextEditor (or whatever their
> > respective names are now) there's a "Select IM" entry.
>
> Can you give an example of a field in an application and which version?

Kmail 4.12.3 Composer all header fields and the textarea. I can choose between
XIM and ibus.

> I've tried a couple of input fields and I didn't see it in any. Either
> checking the wrong programs or having the wrong version.
>
> > I can deduct that IM
> > is Input Method and not Instant Messaging, Insensitive Munitions or
> > Institutional Methodology, but I have no idea what the difference is
> > between the input methods - and frankly I don't care.
>
> Input Method refers to special input modes that allow users with more
> complex languages to enter their languages' characters, e.g. composing
> single characters by typing multiple latin characters.
>
> > Is this really something needed in each and every context menu, or could
> > it
> > be a global setting for those needing it?
>
> No idea. Maybe the type of preferred input method changes depending on what
> kind of text is being entered.

Could be but one would think it was something you wanted on globally.
It's not a big thing, just that the menus can get pretty cluttered already.

> I wonder if I am not seeing any of those choices because I don't have any
> input methods installed (as far as I know)?

Apparently I have :D

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus