Select IM..?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Mar 24 06:48:41 GMT 2014

On Sunday, 2014-03-23, 23:39:22, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> In the context menu of every LineEdit or TextEditor (or whatever their
> respective names are now) there's a "Select IM" entry.

Can you give an example of a field in an application and which version?

I've tried a couple of input fields and I didn't see it in any. Either
checking the wrong programs or having the wrong version.

> I can deduct that IM
> is Input Method and not Instant Messaging, Insensitive Munitions or
> Institutional Methodology, but I have no idea what the difference is
> between the input methods - and frankly I don't care.

Input Method refers to special input modes that allow users with more complex
languages to enter their languages' characters, e.g. composing single
characters by typing multiple latin characters.

> Is this really something needed in each and every context menu, or could it
> be a global setting for those needing it?

No idea. Maybe the type of preferred input method changes depending on what
kind of text is being entered.

I wonder if I am not seeing any of those choices because I don't have any
input methods installed (as far as I know)?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring