Kontact "unable to create calendar"

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Mar 9 17:47:43 GMT 2014

On Sunday, 2014-03-09, 17:13:32, Duncan wrote:
> Kevin Krammer posted on Sun, 09 Mar 2014 14:58:55 +0100 as excerpted:
> >> Unfortunately, it seems kde is about to lose him to xfce over this
> >> entire thing.
> >
> > While I have never understood the need to switch desktops when switching
> > a single application nor switching all applications when switching
> > desktops, I am not so sure it is unfortunate.
> >
> > Given these recent articles I much rather have him write fundamentally
> > wrong stuff about XFCE ;-)
>
> =:^/
>
> As for switching all over one, it seems to me more like a case of the
> straw that broke the camel's back.

Hmm, still, seems to be rather weird decision to me.

>  Yes, some of it's inaccurate, but you
> (or perhaps I should say I) can't really blame him for coming to those
> conclusions given the evidence presented.

Well, I had seen these articles before you pointed them out on lwn.net,
otherwise there might have been a chance to get some corrections at least as
an update.

On first read I though "oh my, how can one person get so many things wrong!"

I have still no clue how the author arrived at the conclusion that certain
features were targetted at corporate users when basically all those changes
primarily benefit private users.

Or basing one of the articles and its conclusions on information that had been
outdated for several years.

At some point I could only shake my head in disbelief and close the tabs. The
material was beyond repair.

> If I had to take semantic-
> desktop because I was on a binary distro that didn't give me the chance
> of turning it off at build-time, I'd probably be on to some other desktop
> by now as well.

Since you mentioned semantic-desktop: the lxer author really loved that name,
using it out of context all over the writing, even attributing it as a goal
Akonadi supposedly was designed for, etc.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't even more sad.

> Actually, as I've posted before, gentoo/kde /did/ try to do away with the
> semantic-desktop USE flag and force it on, arguing that runtime turn-off
> was enough for 4.11, despite upstream's continuing to offer the option.
> Fortunately they reversed course, but meanwhile, I was carrying the
> necessary patches to keep kde building without semantic-desktop on my own.
>
> And there were a number of us considering a gentoo-user level kde overlay-
> repo, either continuing the option or simply hard-coding it off, since
> gentoo/kde was hard-coding it on and people who wanted that could just
> stick with the main repo.

Even binary distributions could lower dependency ranks if there were an easy
way to detect "missing" optional dependencies and offer their installation.

E.g. KDE PIM would then be able to full work without semantic desktop on all
distributions, with only features require it offering an installation option.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring