FTP with different timezone on the server

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Mar 8 22:12:59 GMT 2014

Frank Steinmetzger posted on Sat, 08 Mar 2014 18:29:08 +0100 as excerpted:

> Hi list
>
> Does anyone know of a way to tell the FTP KIO that the FTP server has a
> different timezone in place? My problem is with a webhoster’s FTP server
> which runs on UTC, so everytime I upload a file, it “ages” by one or two
> hours, depending on DST (I’m on GMT+1).
> For that reason I can’t use krusader’s sync feature (and probably any
> other sync tool like rsync) if I don’t want to upload all files every
> time.
>
> Can you recommend any solution? Thanks.

I don't know a direct answer to your question, but I /might/ have a
workaround...

How do you have your local system setup?  Is the computer's hardware
clock set to UTC, with the timezone set appropriately so once you're
booted it displays local time, or is the computer's hardware clock set to
local time directly?

Setting the hardware clock to UTC and letting the software do the
adjustment to local time is generally recommended, particularly where
local time jumps around seasonally as you indicate it does there, because
it avoids any ambiguity during the transition (an overlap of time at the
one end, skipping an hour at the other).  Additionally I suspect that
will get rid of your problem, as well.

If the hardware clock is already set to UTC, then that can't be the
problem and I don't know an answer.

(There is one additional caveat, however.  I've been all freedomware for
over a decade so I haven't the foggiest if this still applies or not, but
at least MS Windows 9x assumed the hardware clock was local time, and
dual boots would thus have the time N hours off on the MS Windows side if
you had the hardware clock set to UTC.  One would hope they've fixed that
by now, and of course it doesn't apply if you're not dual booting, but
years ago at least, it was a problem with dual boot installations.)