FTP with different timezone on the server

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 9 02:13:42 GMT 2014

On 2014-03-08 22:12 (GMT) Duncan composed:

> (There is one additional caveat, however.  I've been all freedomware for
> over a decade so I haven't the foggiest if this still applies or not, but
> at least MS Windows 9x assumed the hardware clock was local time, and
> dual boots would thus have the time N hours off on the MS Windows side if
> you had the hardware clock set to UTC.  One would hope they've fixed that
> by now, and of course it doesn't apply if you're not dual booting, but
> years ago at least, it was a problem with dual boot installations.)

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_the_clock is one place that explains
how Vista SP2 and newer Windows versions can use a registry "hack" that
enables use of UTC. AFAIK, DOS, XP & older Windows versions, and OS2/eCS are
all hard core local only. I'm frequently frustrated by the lasting
inexplicable effect of the one hour DST changes on files transferred between
Linux and eCS. I can reduce the effect by umounting eCS shares in Linux and
shutting down eCS right before the clock change, but it only helps, is not a
full cure those hours gained or lost copying or moving files across the network.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/