All KNotes gone

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jul 26 05:31:51 BST 2014

Alex Schuster posted on Sat, 26 Jul 2014 01:17:12 +0200 as excerpted:

> Some while ago already, KDE killed all my knotes. I think it was when
> 4.13.0 came out, and some migrator tried to migrate the existing notes.
> Well, it failed here. Now, I really want to have them back.
>
> I'm at 4.13.3. now. I deleted all notes in the Akonadi settings, and
> created a new Notes resource, pointing to
> ~/.kde4/share/apps/knotes/notes.ics, which I verified to have all my
> former notes in it. Nothing happens (I also restarted knotes), knotes
> shows no notes at all. [Some paragraphs snipped]

> So, I'm out of ideas. I'm really thinking about deleting _everything_ in
> ~/.kde4, and restart from scratch. Maybe this will help with other KDE
> problems, I upgraded since 4.2. But then I don't have the time for this,
> and hope for a simpler solution. Maybe someone here as an idea. I really
> miss my KNotes. And I would like to be able to run other Akonadi stuff.
> I also don't have access to my addresses.
>
> BTW: About every time I experience some trouble with KDE, I make a note
> about this using knotes. And this happens a lot. So it was only a matter
> of time until I ran into a problem with KDE which made it impossible to
> log this notes any more in this way, because my logging utility itself
> was broken.

FWIW, I decided some time ago (early 4.7 era, when kmail ate one too many
emails and I asked myself /why/ I was putting up with it, email is /not/
rocket science any more, it's decades old technology that /should/ "just
work) that akonadi was bad news, and got as far away from it as possible,
switching anything kdepim related to other alternatives (claws-mail for
mail and feeds, that's about all the kdepim I used).

I'm convinced that was the right decision. =:^)

As for notes, I'm of the rather strong opinion that the stablest and most
reliable solution is a simple plain-text-file-based system, organized
into a subdir hierarchy if you have a bunch of them, possibly with
symlinks from other subdirs for multi-categories and tagging if desired,
backed up periodically as value-appropriate.  That's unaffected by
whatever text editor aka notes-client you happen to be using ATM and
readable by all sorts of stuff including browsers, cat/less/more/most,
and given a not too complex block device and filesystem stack, even
straight from grub2 without booting further, should it be necessary.  And
when you can't get into X or even mc, grep's a great basic search and
easily scriptable. =:^)  Higher availability and cross-client
compatibility than that is tough to get in the computer world! =:^)

In terms of cleaning up the current mess, starting with a clean ~/.kde4
may indeed help, but do keep in mind that the kde5 upgrade is just around
the corner, probably later this year or sometime next, depending on how
early you want to try it[1], and you'll probably be doing something
similar for it, too.

---
[1] Kde5:  I actually already tried it a week ago or so here, qt5 from the
gentoo/qt overlay and kde5 from the gentoo/kde overlay, but kwin5
apparently didn't like my radeon hardware/native-kernel-drm-drivers and
ended up in a segfault/respawn cycle, so about all I saw of it was a few
window-frame-less error dialogs.  I decided I'd try to wait at least
until the qtchooser integrated qt-4.8.6 is in-tree, probably along with
qt5, before trying again, as that was simply too many levels of not
properly tested and distro-integrated pre-release, for me, particularly
given the fact that while kde-frameworks5 is supposed to be parallel-
installable with kde4, not so kde-workspace5/plasma5, which means I
couldn't keep a working kde4 desktop (including kwin) installed along
with the testing kde5.