All KNotes gone

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Sat Jul 26 00:17:12 BST 2014

Hi there!

Some while ago already, KDE killed all my knotes. I think it was when
4.13.0 came out, and some migrator tried to migrate the existing notes.
Well, it failed here. Now, I really want to have them back.

I'm at 4.13.3. now. I deleted all notes in the Akonadi settings, and
created a new Notes resource, pointing to
~/.kde4/share/apps/knotes/notes.ics, which I verified to have all my
former notes in it. Nothing happens (I also restarted knotes), knotes
shows no notes at all.

Possibly related: Before the upgrade, I was using QSQLITE as driver in
akonadiserverrc. This seems to be deprecated now, so I switched this to
QMYSQL, using the akoadi setup tool again. Akoadi starts without
complaining, but when I do the test, I get some errors:

MySQL server protocol (~/,local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err):
140722 21:35:30 InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
140722 21:35:30 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins
140722 21:35:30 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.8
140722 21:35:30 InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
140722 21:35:30 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 80.0M
140722 21:35:30 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
140722 21:35:30 InnoDB: highest supported file format is Barracuda.
140722 21:35:30  InnoDB: Waiting for the background threads to start
140722 21:35:31 Percona XtraDB (http://www.percona.com)
5.5.37-MariaDB-35.0 started; log sequence number 2173016
140722 21:35:31 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Table
'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without them
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table
'mysql.servers' doesn't exist
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_current' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_history' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_history_long' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'setup_consumers' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'setup_instruments' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table 'performance_schema'.'setup_timers'
has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'performance_timers' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table 'performance_schema'.'threads' has
the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_summary_by_thread_by_event_name' has
the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_summary_by_instance' has the wrong
structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_summary_global_by_event_name' has the
wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'file_summary_by_event_name' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'file_summary_by_instance' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'mutex_instances' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'rwlock_instances' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'cond_instances' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'file_instances' has the wrong structure
140722 21:35:31 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.5.38-MariaDB'  socket:
'/tmp/akonadi-wonko.xK7u0d/mysql.socket'  port: 0  Source distribution

I found something about this [1], but in German only. So I tried the
proposed solution and removed all my resources,
deleted .local/share/akonadi, started Akonadi, and tried
those mysql commands:

wonko at weird ~ $ /usr/share/mysql/scripts/mysql_install_db
--datadir=$HOME/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/

FATAL ERROR: Could not find ./bin/my_print_defaults

If you compiled from source, you need to run 'make install' to
copy the software into the correct location ready for operation.

If you are using a binary release, you must either be at the top
level of the extracted archive, or pass the --basedir option
pointing to that location.

The latest information about mysql_install_db is available at
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/installing-system-tables-mysql_install_db

In order to make my_print_defautlts work, I symlinked this into my local
~/bin directory. Now I get an error that I am not allowed to chown a
directory:

wonko at weird ~ $ mysql_install_db
--datadir=$HOME/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ chown: changing ownership
of '/home/wonko/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/': Operation not permitted
Cannot change ownership of the database directories to the 'mysql' user.
Check that you have the necessary permissions and try again.

I tried the next command anyway:

 wonko at weird ~ $ mysql_upgrade
--socket=$HOME/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket Version check
failed. Got the following error when calling the 'mysql' command line
client ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/home/wonko/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket' (2)

[1] states that errors should be ignored, but I think those are fatal.
And nothing has changed.

So, I'm out of ideas. I'm really thinking about deleting _everything_ in
~/.kde4, and restart from scratch. Maybe this will help with other KDE
problems, I upgraded since 4.2. But then I don't have the time for this,
and hope for a simpler solution. Maybe someone here as an idea. I really
miss my KNotes. And I would like to be able to run other Akonadi stuff. I
also don't have access to my addresses.

BTW: About every time I experience some trouble with KDE, I make a note
about this using knotes. And this happens a lot. So it was only a matter
of time until I ran into a problem with KDE which made it impossible to
log this notes any more in this way, because my logging utility itself was
broken.

[1] http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/akonadi-serverprotokoll-fehlerhaft/

	Wonko