virtuoso-t constantly segfaulting

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jan 30 21:39:16 GMT 2014

Thomas Tanghus posted on Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:22:16 +0100 as excerpted:

>> You could try akonadictl fsck
>
> I did not know akonadictl had that option! Will try it as soon as I get
> back.
>
> I now see that it also has a 'vacuum' option, but the help text just
> says "Vacuum internal storage". Do you have any idea what it does?

Active databases (and filesystems, which work similarly) typically create
and delete a lot of records/files.  Akonadi deals with messaging, so
consider email and IM messages as they come in, with a lot of them being
spam and thus often deleted.  But for performance reasons most databases
and filesystems don't normally entirely wipe all those deleted records
(files) at the time of deletion; they simply mark them as deleted in
their index(s) somewhere and continue.

While filesystems will sometimes try to reuse the space for a new file
later, leading to file and empty-space fragmentation both, databases
normally append new records at the end, thereby becoming larger and
larger over time but keeping whole records together with only empty-space
fragmentation.

Vacuuming a database is conceptually similar to defragging a filesystem.
In theory, neither one fix errors, but they consolidate data and
freespace, thereby making access more efficient and shrinking the
allocated space back down to the space actually being used for storage,
"vacuuming" up all the little left-over bits of free-space and either
shrinking the database size (reducing the size of the database file.
often shrinking it by half or more on an active database with lots of
deletions) or simply consolidating filesystem free-space, so new files
will be created in one larger extent instead of perhaps hundreds or
thousands of tiny extents whereever the filesystem can find the space.

Some databases and filesystems have their own automated vacuum/defrag
process, while others only do it manually using vacuum/defrag or if you
create a new one and copy everything over, but most mature filesystems
and databases, even the ones that normally handle it automatically, have
a tool vacuum/defrag manually as well, if necessary.