Downgrade KDE SC Version 4.12.2

Kanjana karlhkaminski at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 08:18:28 GMT 2014

On 23/02/14 14:38, Duncan wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Task-bar with application icons is/are completely missing after update.
>> My customized wallpaper has changed to the Linux Mint Maya default
>> wallpaper which appears to be somewhat oversized. Can only use Alt+F2 to
>> access applications etc..
>>
>> How can I safely remove 4.12.2 and reinstall an 'older' version?
>>
>> Please help me!
>
> For upgrading/downgrading your distro you really need to find an
> appropriate forum/list for your distro and ask them.  This is a kde list,
> not a mint list, and unless someone here happens to use mint and can
> respond, you're unlikely to get distro-specific help like that, here.
>
> However, we might be able to help with the kde problem.  In fact, you may
> be experiencing a problem I've had for some time, that altho I've not
> been able to really fix, I've been able to successfully work around.
> =:^)  If it's not the same problem, it appears to be a similar one.
>
> The first thing to figure out is whether plasma (the normal kde desktop)
> is running at all, possibly reset to some default, or if it's not even
> running.  You say alt-f2 works and you can run stuff from it, so that's
> what we'll use.
>
> First, try this:
>
> kquitapp plasma-desktop
>
> If your desktop disappears or changes, that means plasma was running, but
> just reset to some default, which is the bug I've been running into
> here.  If nothing changes, that means plasma wasn't running at all.
>
> Next, try this:
>
> plasma-desktop
>
> Hopefully that'll restart your desktop, regardless of whether it was
> running and you quit it with the above, or if it was not running.
>
> If you get a good kde desktop back, you're in business.  However, here it
> restarts with the default desktop again, not my customized desktop.  But,
> after a restart, my old desktop activities are available again -- I just
> have to switch to them.  (Before a plasma restart, all it has is the
> default desktop/activity, it doesn't show my customized activities so I
> can't switch to them until I restart plasma-desktop.)
>
> The other possibility is that it's so screwed up that it'll try to start,
> possibly flashing something, and crash again.  That's probably a config
> issue, which means troubleshooting your config.
>
> Meanwhile, presumably you're logging in as your normal user, with an
> existing config.  What happens if you create a new user, without an
> existing and possibly corrupted config, and login to kde as that user?
> Obviously that won't give you your customized config, but does it give
> you a default uncustomized kde/plasma config, or does that one crash
> too?  If a new "clean" user config works, then you know the problem is in
> your config.  (With the problem I've been having, a new user has the same
> problem, so it's not something in my normal user's config that's corrupt.)
>

> That should get you started.  Once you try that and reply with the

Thanks for your kind response. All this is beyond my capabilities and is
out of my comfort zone. I followed your advice:

kanjana at Linux-Mint-13 ~ $ kquitapp plasma-desktop
kquitapp(3953): "Application plasma-desktop could not be found using
service org.kde.plasma-desktop and path /MainApplication."

kanjana at Linux-Mint-13 ~ $ plasma-desktop
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before
QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before
QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
plasma-desktop(3956)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible:
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
plasma-desktop(3956)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible:
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
plasma-desktop(3956)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible:
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
plasma-desktop(3956)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible:
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
plasma-desktop(3956)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible:
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
plasma-desktop(3956)/libplasma Plasma::PackagePrivate::isValid: Could
not find required file mainscript
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Object::connect: No such signal
org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal
org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No
such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/kanjana/.config/ibus/bus
plasma-desktop: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/kde4/plasma_applet_dig_clock.so: undefined symbol:
_ZN12QFontMetricsC1ERK5QNont
plasma-desktop(3955): Communication problem with  "plasma-desktop" , it
probably crashed.
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message
did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

kanjana at Linux-Mint-13 ~ $

I did not realize that a change (removal) of a desktop environment is so
complex. Heck, most other application can be removed/reinstalled using
synaptic package manager... I am on Linux Mint since inception, never
ever experiences such a mess. I foolishly got sucked in enabling level 4
of the update manager - oh well. It looks like I need to reinstall the
distro (this might be a quicker way doing things).
Thanks again!