virtuoso-t constantly segfaulting

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Feb 3 01:31:14 GMT 2014

Gene Heskett posted on Sun, 02 Feb 2014 07:58:22 -0500 as excerpted:

> Soon being relative, a complete pass of my makeit script is an over 30
> minute process even with ccache running.
>
> gentoo eh?  Thats a system I have not yet tried.  I wonder how long it
> would take to get this system rebuilt in gentoo?

As you may remember, I'm a gentooer as well.  So between Frank and I, you
have two gentooers to consult with if you try it. =:^)

Build-time-wise, I started gentoo on a dual single-core (pre-multi-cores)
CPU, a first generation (3-digit) AMD Opteron, back in 2004.  Mainboard
was a Tyan s2882, IIRC.  A gig of RAM (DDR(1)) and dual Opteron 242 CPUs
@ 1.6 GHz.  People were even running gentoo on 486s, but I wasn't /that/
masochistic.  Similarly, they run gentoo on some of the lower power ARM
and MIPS hardware today, but I think in a lot of those cases they use
crossdev for at least some of the build, as Frank mentioned.

Anyway, AFAIRC that old setup took about 5 minutes to do a purpose-
configured kernel build, and about 8 hours for kde build (what I used in
kde, then kde3, which was most but not all of it back then).

I kept the same mainboard as my main system for 8 years until it died due
to bulging/burst capacitors, but upgraded to 8 gig RAM, then back down to
6 gig when a 2-gig stick died that I never replaced.  Similarly, I
upgraded the CPUs to a pair of top-of-their-line dual-core Opteron 290s @
IIRC 2.8 GHz for dual-dual-cores.  I loved that system and knew it, its
hardware and its kernel config like the back of my hand, which is why I
continued to upgrade and use it so long -- I was shooting for 10 years
but didn't quite make it.

FWIW the upgraded CPUs/memory took 3-4 hours for a KDE build, and about 2
minutes for a custom kernel build from clean.

When it died I migrated to a 6-core AMD fx6100, overclocked slightly to
3.6 GHz, now with 16 gig of DDR3 DRAM.  Gigabyte fx990-ud3 mainboard. The
central system's a bit faster than the old tyan, but the big deal for me
was getting off the old buses.  The tyan was still AGP and PCI-X (not PCI-
E), the new one PCI-E 2.  The old one SATA-1, the new one SATA-3, the old
one USB-1 with a USB-2 addon card, the new one several USB-3 connectors
and USB-2.

A bit later I upgraded my main storage to a pair of 256 gig SSDs (Corsair
Neutron 256, NOT the Neutron GTX), which I have partitioned up with btrfs
in raid1 mode on most partitions.  I'm still running spinning-rust for my
media partition and second-level backups of the main system, but the main
system including /home is btrfs in raid1 mode on the SSDs.

This system does a kde rebuild (noting that I have less of KDE actually
installed now) in 20-30 minutes, and a kernel build in about a minute.
Of course I'm actually running live-git versions of both, updating about
once a week with a script that only rebuilds the packages whose repos
have updated, and between that and ccache, the kde (along with a few
other live-packages I run, but not the kernel, which I update separately)
build runs perhaps 10 minutes.  It's fast enough now that's not a big
deal.  In fact, for quite some time the time I spend tracking the updates
to see what has changed and updating system configuration when necessary,
has been a bigger deal than the update builds themselves.  That was
actually true when the kde build took a couple hours too, and the
breakover point was probably at about 4 hours kde build time, as I could
do other things while it was happening so it took very little of /my/
time, but obviously my attention and time is actually required to track
what the updates actually are (tho reading changelogs and git commit logs
plus bugs they sometimes mention is mostly curiosity driven, I don't
/have/ to do that), and more importantly, to make any system
configuration changes required.

But the time to make system configuration changes would be about the same
on any distro.  Tho with gentoo being a rolling distro, the changes are
incremental and it's a few minutes a week on average, instead of hours a
couple times a year for the twice-yearly distro releases, or days every
few years, for the long-term-support releases.

> And before I go charging off to do a gentoo build, what is the first
> users UID on gentoo?  That is 1000 for ubuntu, and switching back to a
> first UID=500 system totally disables my ability to "ssh -Y shop",
> running that specially built ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS because ssh doesn't use
> login names, but UID's, so it will not allow a login from a UID=500
> system on its UID=1000 system.  That is a right PIMA too.

Frank says it's 1000 on his gentoo system, and I think that's correct.

On my system it's 500, but I believe that's historic, due to my switch
from Mandrake 9.x back in 2004.  I dimly recall having some issues due to
that during my switch, as you point out, and back then, I decided it was
easier to simply reset my user UIDs in /etc/passwd than it was to
recursively change them for all files in /home and on my media
partition.  Today I'd probably do the recursive file change, but meh,
I've been running gentoo for a decade with it at 500, and there's no
reason to change it now.