{OT} Cross-compiling the kernel

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 3 00:46:23 GMT 2014

On Sunday 02 February 2014 19:43:01 Frank Steinmetzger did opine:

> > > How so? Special case on your machine? I'm running a 64 bit kernel
> > > with an otherwise 32 bit userland on my Atom netbook. All you gotta
> > > do is get a 64 bit compiler toolchain (which is quite easily
> > > achieved on Gentoo) and pass some parameters to the kernel make.
> >
> > [...]
> > gentoo eh?  Thats a system I have not yet tried.  I wonder how long it
> > would take to get this system rebuilt in gentoo?
>
> The netbook takes maybe 20 hours to build a KDE update (not full
> environment, only kdebase, most of kdepim and some select programs).
> The kernel with only the stuff I need takes around 55 minutes (Atom
> N450, single core with HT).
>
> > So, what else do I need to change in the build tools dept, to be able
> > to build a working 64 bit kernel?  This is the ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
> > version of build_essentials. So even the compiler is old, so old it
> > hasn't the ability to build any stack protection bits.
>
> Well, the Gentoo way uses a package called crossdev. You just tell it
> the desired architecture and it builds the toolchain (binutils, gcc and
> glibc). With those three, I am able to build the kernel.
>
> To actually build the kernel, you have to either set the different
> compiler in menuconfig, or pass it as parameter to make. The line from
> my Makefile:
>
> cd /usr/src/64 && make -C /usr/src/linux O=`pwd`
> CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- bzImage modules
>
> (I separate build dir from sources dir)
>
> > And before I go charging off to do a gentoo build, what is the first
> > users UID on gentoo?
>
> 1000

Good, one less roadblock.  In the meantime I built a 3.13.1-x64, crashed
about 2 secs into the boot, no init found. Uncheck that box, go turn on the
PAE, and I expect it would boot ok.  Sigh...

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.