Sound problems again...

Jogchum Reitsma j.reitsma at concepts.nl
Fri Aug 15 08:59:32 BST 2014

op 12-08-14 20:38, Jogchum Reitsma schreef:
> Hi all,
>
> While I love my opensuse/kde systems dearly, sound has always been a
> hassle here. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't work at
> all, sometimes it works half.
>
> At the moment, I have a desktop running opensuse 13.1/KDE 4.11.5 on
> which youtube sound through Firefox works, but apparently nothing
> else. CD-playing, local music files, other-than-youtube movies trough
> Firefox, (e.g.
> http://vimeo.com/blenderHack/stabilizerdemo) do not work.
>
> In all these cases (including the one where sound is indeed
> reproduced!) kmix says there is no sound stream being played.
>
> The sound card is a Xonar STX, which indeed is granted a tab in kmix.
> But the menu "Configuration->Sound configuration" shows no hardware at
> all, only the PulsAudio server. On the other hand,
> "Configuration->Select main channel" says the current mixer is Xonar,
> and the channel representing the main volume is the Master of the
> Xonar STX.
>
> I tried to remove/re-install the Xonar with Yast (the main
> configuration tool of opensuse), but no luck. Testing the card from
> within Yast works fine, though.
>
> Frustrating is that is *has* worked a certain time, until some upgrade
> (i keep the system in sync with the 13.1 repos for opensuse).
>
> Anyone any idea?
>
> (BTW, I also have a laptop running opensuse Factory, which behaves
> just the opposite: everything works, except for Firefox sound... But
> that's something for another thread.)

Problem solved.

I came across
"https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/499971-Can-t-configure-sound-card",
where was suggested to throw away /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf, and let
Yast configure the soundcard again. For that problem it didn'nt help (it
appeared to be a hardware problem after all), but in my case it solved
the problem. While the old and new /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf are
exactly the same.