Sound problems again...

Jogchum Reitsma j.reitsma at concepts.nl
Tue Aug 12 19:38:41 BST 2014

Hi all,

While I love my opensuse/kde systems dearly, sound has always been a
hassle here. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't work at all,
sometimes it works half.

At the moment, I have a desktop running opensuse 13.1/KDE 4.11.5 on
which youtube sound through Firefox works, but apparently nothing else.
CD-playing, local music files, other-than-youtube movies trough Firefox,
(e.g.
http://vimeo.com/blenderHack/stabilizerdemo) do not work.

In all these cases (including the one where sound is indeed reproduced!)
kmix says there is no sound stream being played.

The sound card is a Xonar STX, which indeed is granted a tab in kmix.
But the menu "Configuration->Sound configuration" shows no hardware at
all, only the PulsAudio server. On the other hand,
"Configuration->Select main channel" says the current mixer is Xonar,
and the channel representing the main volume is the Master of the Xonar STX.

I tried to remove/re-install the Xonar with Yast (the main configuration
tool of opensuse), but no luck. Testing the card from within Yast works
fine, though.

Frustrating is that is *has* worked a certain time, until some upgrade
(i keep the system in sync with the 13.1 repos for opensuse).

Anyone any idea?

(BTW, I also have a laptop running opensuse Factory, which behaves just
the opposite: everything works, except for Firefox sound... But that's
something for another thread.)