keyboard and mouse not working after upadte to latest xorg server

Peter Nikolic pg.nikolic1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 21:25:03 BST 2014

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 06:47:22 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

> Peter Nikolic posted on Fri, 01 Aug 2014 23:05:58 +0100 as excerpted:
>
> > Iam running Arch Linux on my main PC fully updated including the
> > latest xorg server  stuff  , If i run startx i can use the terminal
> > windows start programes  as root    .
> >
> > If i run kdm to use kde i get the login screen /greeter but have no
> > mouse or keyboard .
> > I have so far tried every thing i can find to attempt to solve this
> > without sucess .
> >
> > Could use a little help and or suggestions as to where to look next
>
> FWIW, here I use startx to start kde directly from a text login, no
> *dm installed at all, nor have I used a *dm graphical login since
> before I switched to gentoo in 2004, so there's a definite limit to
> my knowledge in that area.  In fact, I quit using *dm logins back on
> Mandrake in probably 2002 or so, precisely because the one I was
> using broke, while a text login and simply running startx from there
> "just worked".  My impression then and now is thus that a *dm login
> requires that more software machinery be configured and in working
> order, and that it's consequently more delicate and prone to breakage
> than the relatively more robust simple text login and startx as a
> normal user, with an xsession set as appropriate (to kde in this
> context).
>
> Anyway, some questions/observations can be made:
>
> You tried kdm, and you tried startx as root, but there's no
> indication you tried startx as a normal user (which is the way I
> launch X, with kde set as the xsession, here).  What happens if you
> do that?
>
> That kdm isn't giving you mouse/keyboard in X while logging in as
> root and running startx gives you working mouse/keyboard points at a
> permissions issue, possibly related to systemd's logind configuration
> -- nobody logged in so it's not setting permissions appropriately to
> allow X- based input activation, to /get/ that login.  While what
> little *dm stuff I know is long outdated (long /long/ before
> systemd's logind, for instance, which certainly changed the rules in
> that area quite a bit), checking whether a text login as a normal
> user and startx from there gives you working input, would test
> another variant on the problem, giving people more information to
> troubleshoot with.
>
> You can also try a text login, and then switch back to kdm and see if
> it is suddenly working.  If that works, it's definitely
> dynamic-permissions related based on login.
>

> Meanwhile, if you'd like startx to run kde instead of a generic
> session (as I do here on gentoo, but with a slightly different
> technique than suggested in the link below), since you're on arch,
> I'll refer you to the arch wiki:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc
>
> With that you may find, as I did, that ultimately you don't need a
> *dm graphical login any longer.  Simply do a normal text login, and
> if you want to startx, just run startx as you would a normal
> [...]

Hi Duncan

Thanks for the reply i think it may be as you suggest a permissions
problem but it is proving to be hell to sort out   every thing was fine
untill i accepted the update to the latest Xorg server  then  well

Ok  well i am going to be out all day tomorrow fishing so will try to
solve it monday evening and get back to you then .

Thanks Pete ..

--
Linux voyager 3.6.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 12 23:58:58 CEST 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux