Akonadi acting up (again)

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Sep 24 18:33:30 BST 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-09-24, John Woodhouse wrote:
> [...]

I actually assumed it meant that, but since it didn't make any sense in the
context it appeared in I found it better to ask.

The server/client based architecture made reusable components more viable but
that is the case independent of the client side programming technique/paradigm
being used.

For example previously it wouldn't have been worthwhile to invest into
separating the email viewer into a component since email backend access is a
rather tricky business.
By not needing to do that anymore in each client it became a viable goal to
create a library for email viewing functionality.
As a positive side effect it becomes more viable to consider alternative
viewers, since the separation reduces implicit coupling.

> > Akonadi, like Evolution Data Server (short EDS) before [1], is a service
> > oriented approach to PIM data access.
>
> In some ways that comment isn't relevant.

I was just clarfying that the change wasn't about programming paradigm but
architectural.
And that similar projects are arriving at very similar architectures due to
similar requirments.
It's just to show that given the same requirements and constraints, arriving
at very similar solutions isn't mere conincidence.

> > I am also not sure which two versions of KMail the second sentence is
> > referring to. Is that KMail based on Qt3 and one of the two versions of
> > KMail based on Qt4 or KMail1 and KMail2?
>
> Help Kmail about for the one I am using from kdepim3 shows Kmail 1.9.10
> using KDE3.5.10 "release 67"
>
> The KDE I am running shows KDE Platform Version 4.10.5 "release 1"
>
> I assume the releases in bunny rabbits relate to OpenSuse. I'm fairly sure
> other QT4ified Kmail's from KDE3 may be available elsewhere as well.

I was asking because there have been changes between the Qt3 based version of
KMail and the Qt4 based one, as well as changes between version 1 of the
application and version 2.

The differences between the first two is mostly a result of changes in the
underlying libraries. Some of those were more involving than other, so the two
code bases are not identical. But considering the size and age of the code
base changes there can be considered rather limited.

There were more significant changes between versions 1 and 2 of the
application, due to the architectural nature of the changes below.
For example synchronous and asynchronous data access require very different
handling. Sometimes it is viable to hide the difference in some way, sometimes
it isn't and it becomes more viable to specifially address the difference,
leading to a more significant change.

> Must admit I may have a jaundiced view of Akonadi. This goes back to when
> it was introduced. Appeared to slowly scan my disks to index them. I shut
> it off after a several days. Fed up with disks tinkling and concerned
> about wear. It should have quickly got out of the way if I needed to use
> the disk and didn't. Very noticeable pregnant pauses instead.

I think you are referring to a different service there: Nepomuk.
Quite some improvements have been made to its operational behavior over the
last couple of releases.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring