Akonadi acting up (again)

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 27 12:58:22 BST 2013

Sorry Kevin but I think you have missed the point on the not relevant aspect. Entire post this time really. They may be very relevant from a coding standpoint but not for a user other than one who says "Gee this uses an amazing structure and others are using it too so I don't care if it's slow or keeps having problems". :-) Maybe an extreme way of putting things but in essence what matters most? User experiences or implementation/structure if the latter spoils the former.

I am not saying that there is anything fundamentally wrong with the structure that is being used either. Just that there seems to be a significant difference in the performance aspects of email in KDE3 as against default email in KDE4. Maybe it's a Windows approach - ah well people will upgrade and Intel plus Moore's law will sort it out. I have noticed that in some ways a 2.6gh dual core plus 8gb of ram can struggle at times running KDE4. Perhaps the problem is not structure but implementation. Going on some other applications it does seem that C++ can have this effect. On the other hand this is not always the case. Makes me feel that there are 2 forms of writing C++ software, OOPs and OOP.  In terms of actual performance in the real world Moore's law is a bit dubious anyway.

Akanadi etc.

Yes different services. I new that there was some tie up but hadn't looked to see what it was.

http://cmollekopf.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/kontact-nepomuk-integration-why-data-from-akonadi-is-indexed-in-nepomuk/

Interesting read linked to of the user basefrom here

http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi

>From this it seems I may well be using KDE4 file indexing even with it turned off. Fine if so as it hasn't done any of the things I don't like. The problem with using inactivity as a trigger was demonstrated when it was forcibly used on SuSe to spin down the disks. As things stand there is no way of determining when an inactive period will end.

It also seems that if I really do disable indexing I may loose my digital clock and perhaps one or two other things. The clock sounds like someone thinking wouldn't it be nice to use .... to me. Hanging too much off a service may be a bad idea any way.

Me well I am not against change and also realise that windozy things are a mature technology. All arrangements boil down to some patch of screen with icons or the results of some application in it etc. Difficult to change really but things move on. :-) I sometimes think there are too many software people about with too little to do. On the other hand it's a frightening thought that a PC user such as my wife can do all she generally does on an iPad with a lot less power and sadly more ease. Speed - well printing does take some time to send the data but might not if airprint was available. In all other respects it's way way quicker to use than a net book for instance and just about does all of the things a lot of people want to do. My son bought me one for my birthday and I have to admit it's the most definite step forwards I have seen in a long time even with it's limitations which in practice for many people are few.

John