Hi

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Oct 19 05:38:25 BST 2013

westlake posted on Fri, 18 Oct 2013 22:17:42 -0400 as excerpted:

> There's many great things with KDE, I just started to adopt this Desktop
> as my main logon.
>
> I couldn't find any bug reports related to calibrating the mouse the way
> I have been setting on my prior Desktops.
>
> With xinput I'd like to use Accel Profile to '2' (which to me is the
> ideal algorithm) but there's a steep a negative feedback.
>
> ^ Anyone knows where I can look with possible dbus or possible
> documentation on how I can totally disable KDE Plasma's mousing features
> and instead revert to plain X11 handling mouse events?
>
> (I really need to have the Accel Profile to '2' because it makes a big
> difference.. If anyone knows what I'm talking about feel free to reply.
> Thanks :)

For further reference, unless your question is /very/ general and you
know it applies to kde in general, not a specific version, there's at
least three pieces of information that you should always try to include:

1) Distro.

fedora, opensuse, ubuntu/kubuntu, debian, arch, gentoo, freebsd, etc, and
if you built kde direct from upstream kde sources instead of using your
distro provided packages, mention that too.

2) Distro release/version (unless it's a rolling distro so release
version doesn't matter).

3) Upstream kde version, since people using other distros likely won't
know what version of kde your distro shipped with what release, and if
they ship kde upgrades between releases, which kde you're actually
running.

In this case it doesn't matter /too/ much unless you're still running a
kde3 (which AFAIK opensuse still ships, for instance) instead of kde4, or
are perhaps running the kde frameworks five previews or git master.  And
of course debian stable and enterprise distros such as red hat run rather
behind, so while current kde is 4.11.2 I think, you might be back at 4.6
or some such with them, and that's a big enough gap it could matter more.

FWIW, I simply use xorg's input calibration here (gentoo ~amd64/testing,
but I'm running kde 4.11-live-branch from the gentoo/kde overlay, so I'm
actually ahead of current kde 4.11 release), and have for quite some
time, now.

If I go into kde control center (the kde3 name, kde4 calls it system
settings, despite the fact that it's mostly user-specific kde-specific
settings, but for a few exceptions NOT global system settings), the
settings there generally mirror what I have set for xorg in general, tho
I haven't actually changed from the default acceleration profile -- I've
only set other parameters.

Here's the relevant input settings from /etc/X11/conf.d/*.conf, tho I
assume since you're asking how to get kde to honor the xorg defaults, you
already have a similar file setup how you want.

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "trackball.accel"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        MatchIsPointer  "1"
        MatchProduct    "Logitech USB Receiver"
        Option          "AccelerationNumerator"         "31"
        Option          "AccelerationDenominator"       "10"
        Option          "AccelerationThreshold"         "0"
        Option          "AdaptiveDeceleration"          "2.5"
EndSection

The documentation for it can of course be found in the xorg.conf (5)
manpage, or simply google for it.  There's a blog post from one of the
xorg devs from back when xinput2 was introduced, with a bit more
information too, which should be googlable.

If you want to reset the kde mouse settings so the default xorg settings
are used, take a look at $KDEHOME/share/config/kcminputrc.  ($KDEHOME
normally defaults to ~/.kde if it's unset, tho some distros change that
to ~/.kde4 or the like.)  There's keyboard settings and cursortheme
settings there too, in addition to the mouse accel settings, but you
should be able to delete the settings you want set back to xorg default
and save the file (editing it when kde isn't running as that user, of
course), and when you next start kde as that user, it /should/ return to
xorg defaults for those settings.

At least it did here, when I did that.  Tho as I said I've not actually
changed the xinput accel profile, only some of the other accel
parameters.  So it's possible it screws up if you run a different accel
profile, but if so I'd call that a bug.