Yet another failed KDE release?

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Wed May 8 08:55:25 BST 2013

On Tuesday 07 May 2013 23.04:02 Ross Boylan wrote:
> I'm using Debian Wheezy, which was released about 2 days ago.  It's a
> little  odd: help | about shows KMail Version 1.13.7 use KDE dev Platform
> 4.8.4.  The Debian package version number is 4.4.11, which I suppose is a
> reference to the kde pim version.

That would explain a lot of the problems right there.

> I'm guessing the Debian packagers thought KMail 2 was too unreliable,

KDE PIM packaging is notoriously bad, that is true.

Often packagers think they know better than the developers. Or start to
believe the fashionable KDE PIM bashing. The result is packaging that
introduces issues that truly make it a horrible experience.

But in those cases, the more truthful title for the thread would be that it is
yet another failed Debian release. Even though that's also not quite correct,
because it's not all of Debian that's bad.

But as far as generalisations go, it'd be more truthful.

The distribution with the best KDE packaging right now seems to be Fedora, at
least that's my experience, and from 4.10 onward, KDE PIM has started
fulfilling many of the promises this technology has been making.

But criticising the 4.10 release on a weird mix of packages from 4.4 and 4.8
that was hand-grafted by some packagers who thought they knew better seems
like going out of ones way to do some trolling against KDE, to be honest.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve <greve at fsfeurope.org>