Yet another failed KDE release?

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed May 8 21:10:11 BST 2013

On Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:55:25 AM Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2013 23.04:02 Ross Boylan wrote:
> > I'm using Debian Wheezy, which was released about 2 days ago.  It's a
> > little  odd: help | about shows KMail Version 1.13.7 use KDE dev Platform
> > 4.8.4.  The Debian package version number is 4.4.11, which I suppose is a
> > reference to the kde pim version.
>
> That would explain a lot of the problems right there.

> But criticising the 4.10 release on a weird mix of packages from 4.4 and
> 4.8 that was hand-grafted by some packagers who thought they knew better
> seems like going out of ones way to do some trolling against KDE, to be
> honest.
If you review the thread history you'll see I didn't start it or pick the
subject line; I don't believe the original poster was on Debian.  We have
wandered onto my problems with KDE and KMail because I mentioned my problems
with them while questioning some of the original criticisms of KDE.

As for Debian, I'm sure the packagers did the best they could with the choices
they had.  It's worth reiterating that, given the lag times involved in
releases, they would have had to settle on things well before the release.  By
most accounts I've seen the newer kdepim packages had a rocky start.

Ross