Yet another failed KDE release?

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Sun Mar 24 09:07:05 GMT 2013

On Sunday 24 Mar 2013 06:17 my mailbox was graced by a message from dE . who
wrote:
> > It is almost impossible, since the user can dramatically modify the
> > original configuration and automating the process of wading through
> > often illogical configuration files with triple definitions and
> > contradictory instructions set by the user is a a lot of work. Wiping
> > them is not an option as the user would loose configurations. That is
> > the downside of a highly customisable desktop environment, and that
> > possibility of customisation is one of the main reasons most user
> > actually choose KDE over other desktops.

> There's no project in in the world which expects users to clean configs
> manually before installation, except for an overhaul releases; where in
> most cases a different config directory is chose.

It would be a help if KDE did not store in hidden "configuration" files
(.kde4) a mort of stuff that is in fact user data, like all the Kmail
messages, Konqueror  bookmarks, etc.

When it becomes possible to zap the actual config files without loosing one's
data, then it will be acceptabel to do each time a clean install of KDE.

Until then, I am continuing my migration to LXDE...
(only remains ro transform the Kmail stuff into Claws)

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                       When the gods wish to punish us