Yet another failed KDE release?

dE . de.techno at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 06:17:56 GMT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org>wrote:

> Hi Miroslav,
>
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Mirosław Zalewski
> <miniopl at poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> The biggest issue is that with each new release, there's more glitches
> >> while the old ones are still there.
> >
> > On 22/03/2013 at 11:38, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org> wrote:
> >> And make sure you ALWAYS test with a new user or move the old config
> files
> >> elsewhere when you do a major upgrade.
> >
> > Myriam, this is exactly Nikos point. Old config files laying around
> causes
> > various issues with KDE SC. By encouraging him to triage bugs on fresh
> config,
> > you admit that.
> >
> > I think that this is huge drawback of KDE SC. As user, I am forced to
> recreate
> > my carefully crafted configuration from scratch with each major update.
> Do I
> > remember what exactly did I change and where? No, I have better things
> to do.
> > Starting from fresh config, I only discover that something I am used to
> does
> > not work. Then I go into System settings and try to find relevant option.
> > Recreating configuration is not matter of two or three hours; it's
> matter of
> > days during which my work is not effective, because I am constantly
> disturbed
> > with changes I have to make.
> >
> > Or I can save myself some hustle and start from fresh config, but copy
> some old
> > files over. But this way I am forced to dive into KDE SC internals and
> > understand purpose of each file (to be able to judge whether I should
> copy it
> > or not). Do I want to? No, I have other things to do.
> >
> > Honestly, why can't KDE SC support seamless update from previous major
> > release? Is it too much work to rewrite config files whose format has
> changed?
>
> It is almost impossible, since the user can dramatically modify the
> original configuration and automating the process of wading through
> often illogical configuration files with triple definitions and
> contradictory instructions set by the user is a a lot of work. Wiping
> them is not an option as the user would loose configurations. That is
> the downside of a highly customisable desktop environment, and that
> possibility of customisation is one of the main reasons most user
> actually choose KDE over other desktops.

There's no project in in the world which expects users to clean configs
manually before installation, except for an overhaul releases; where in
most cases a different config directory is chose.

Also, are these instructions official?

BUT, the bug should be checked as a new user; this helps diagnose the cause
of the problem.