K menu submenu on a panel

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 20 16:28:21 BST 2013

Duncan wrote, On 06/20/2013 03:35 AM:
> Duncan posted on Wed, 19 Jun 2013 05:20:15 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>>> I just tried this dragging the "Applications->Graphics" menu to the
>>> panel.
>>>
>>>    Location:  applications://graphics/
>>>
>>> If i changed the location manually to:
>>>
>>>              applications:/Graphics/
>>>
>>> then it works fine.
>>>
>>> so, the drag/drop process is downcasing, and also it doesn't understand
>>> the "://" (doubleslash), because "applications://Graphics/", which i
>>> tried first didn't work either.
>>
>> Ahh!  THAT could be the problem here too.  I'll have to test it.
>
> On 4.10-branch, it works as you state, which is unsurprising as that's
> what you were running as well.  I caught up a bit on sleep and might try

Duncan,

Actually, i'm on 4.8.4 (Debian Wheezy stock), the original poster
was using 4.10. so this is a persistent problem.  ISTM that
the "case sensitivity" part should be honored when the menu is
dragged (because i would expect that whatever URI spec this is
(freedesktop? KDE?) is most likely case-sensitive, but i'd also
argue they should support either:
     applications://Graphics/
or
     applications:/Graphics/
Should i chose to manually enter the URI.

(and specific to the folderview widget, it should acquire the Icon
that's specified for the Graphics (or whatever other) submenu as well,
but i don't know how that data is passed and if that info is even
available directly in the drag-drop data structure, i'm sure it could
be surmised by the receiver by the URI by digging through the Menu
structures, but that might not be sensical, too much special-case
code?)

I'd guess there's probably a deeper underlying bug here that might
be affecting other components than just the case of drag-drop to
the panel for the Graphics applications submenu, but don't have
any idea where that would be. (is it being munged in the drag-drop
data structure initially, or is the plasma-panel mangling it on
acceptance? (forgive my clear lack of understanding the exact
terminology used here.  As Bones McCoy would say "I'm a Sysadmin
Damnit, not a KDE Software Developer")

> some more 4.10.80 (aka 4.11-beta1) experiments later.  If I do I'll try
> to confirm this there too, but I'm guessing it's exactly the same, since
> the part I did test on it was, before you suggested the name tweaks.

I'm probably not going to be doing this operation ever again, so i'm
not invested in any particular outcome.  But, Duncan, if you are
into bug reporting for KDE and want to take this, i appreciate your
service to the community! ;)

--stephen