Upgrading from kde 4.6 to 4.10 SC questions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jul 14 22:56:19 BST 2013

John Woodhouse posted on Sun, 14 Jul 2013 05:29:48 -0700 as excerpted:

> My current email is old style email handling and new style address book.
> The next one is new style in both respects. That is where all of the
> problems seem to lie.

Yes.  That's where I had the worst problems with kmail and decided to
ditch it, here.  In that case, indeed, you can try upgrading if you like,
but be sure and have backups, and be prepared to try other alternatives
if the new kmail just doesn't work for you.

FWIW, a lot of folks including me have found claws-mail a good
alternative.  It's gtk-based so doesn't quite fit the kde theme, but with
the kde colors settings checkbox checked to apply kde colors to non-kde
apps, it's not /too/ bad, and it's a LOT more stable than new kmail was
for me, and apparently for others.  The biggest problem is the conversion
process.  There's ways of importing mail from kmail into claws-mail, but
it's not as straightforward as it could be.  There's a claws-mail script
that can help, but at least when I tried it, it was a bit old and needed
some modification in ordered to work correctly.  Others have installed
the command-line mail client mutt temporarily, as it understands both
kmail's maildir and claws-mail's mh-format style, and can convert between
them.  And if you use IMAP, simply ensuring everything's on the IMAP
server where it can be downloaded to the new client works.  (My problem
there is that my mail providers are POP3, not IMAP, but it has worked for
many with IMAP based mail service.)

Others have tried thunderbird or evolution, but neither of those appealed
to me for various reasons, but claws-mail was a very good fit. =:^)