Upgrading from kde 4.6 to 4.10 SC questions

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 13:29:48 BST 2013

Thanks Duncan.
Hopefully this one will be plain text but the selector has disappeared from compose. I use yahoo as I assumed plain text would never be a problem. They seem to be following the herd now and the uk add servers seem to run on a 386 PC via an acoustic modem at times. Getting to be a pain so need to find another. Don't like gmail etc

Not just English but a Brit who wasn't sure what the tiny area on my rather large monitor that seems to be my desktop is called.

Not adverse to trying new approaches but seriously for my use the area it contains just isn't big enough. Maybe I could use several but doubt it. :-) Also reminds me of windows trying to stop people putting anything on the real desktop. Suppose they did it to help people organise things sensibly really.

New machine all ready to go apart from importing mail of this one so very concerned about import problems mentioned all over the place on the web eg One guy on the KDE forum 6 weeks and still strange happenings since the import. This post mentioned using Kmail from 3.10 (?) ported to KDE4 and QT etc and maintained it seems as a solution. Thought some on here might be interested in this. I'm interested in knowing if any are using it. Problems especially.

A desktop without solid email stability is a problem for many people. Imports especially. Oddly there doesn't seem to be much info about users of kdepim3 on KDE4 on the web. :-) Makes me wonder if it has a lot of very happy users. I often wonder where all of the people that used to be on this mailing list have gone. I recently found modern completely KDE3 distro's about all qt - efied etc. Not a direction I want to take but mail is another matter.

My current email is old style email handling and new style address book. The next one is new style in both respects. That is where all of the problems seem to lie.

John
-