Upgrading from kde 4.6 to 4.10 SC questions

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 10:58:01 BST 2013

The problem with upgrades especially to a new machine is that mail keeps coming in on the old one. That can make unsuccessful mail transfers a real pain. One aspect that annoys me is that original Kmail, don't know about the new one, would import the lot from the previous one if it was an upgrade to the same machine. This code couldn't be pointed at a directory tree that a user might have copied across. In fact that sort of thing only appeared and didn't work as well until I made a rather pointed comment on here.

I'm tempted to give kdepim3 a go and pray or switch entirely to pay for web mail. IMAP is mostly defeatist probably because most mail packages seem to have outstanding bugs.

Have to laugh. When the current set up was mentioned on here some one chimed in what we need is a daemon. My thoughts were oh no for several reasons but no doubt the person who did it found it to be a very invigorating experience even though the may have found out that it had it's problems on heavily used machines with a lot on them. As usual not much thought about users needs only change.  I am a software person but not PC unfortunately and also extremely object orientated. My guess is that eventually some might sit down and think about mail and decide they are up a blind alley that even Moor's Law wont sort out unless we start shifting photons about.

Only thing about using kdepim3 is that I was told to keep user name and password the same when copying directories across. Not sure why as user rights are easy to change. Unfortunately my new install has some how given me a different user id number which made trying to use NTS to transfer files across a bit of a pain so done with discs via a usb sata hub at 25mb/sec plus pauses. 2 writes instead of one and very long rights change pass.

Maybe some one can shed light on ..pim3 and keeping the user etc the same. Maybe that is KDE and not system related. Hope not or more problems.

John