kmail and kwallet

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Feb 8 15:00:25 GMT 2013

On Friday, 2013-02-08, Robert wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 06:49:08 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> > Actually, I think you'll find a lot of folks agreeing with you.  The new
> > akonadified kmail is more problems than it's worth, and a lot of former
> > kmail users are just that, FORMER kmail users, as a result.
> >
> > I know I am!
>
> I am just trying to understand why KDE feels they need to look and feel
> like windows and have the system do everything for you.

Obviously this is way to generic to be addressed specifically, but quite a lot
of KDE contributors think that a concerted approach yields the best result to
effort ratio.

E.g. visual elements like icons are distributed and installed in a way that
allows all applications to use them instead of packaging a tailored subset
with each single application.

Translations are also produced in a way that allows re-use between products.

Involved programmers most often prefer to share certain functionalities
instead of having specialized solutions for each program.

Neither of those choices had anything todo with looking or feeling like
Windows, of course, but I guess that part of the sentence was just a weak
attempt to stir unrest :)

In any case it is still up to every single contributor to go for a custom,
closely tailored solution for any given problem.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring