syncing nepomuk metadata between hosts?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Feb 7 19:48:58 GMT 2013

On Thursday, 2013-02-07, Kristian Rink wrote:
> Hi;
>
> and first off, thanks a bunch for your comment, greatly appreciated anyhow.
> :)
>
> Am Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2013, 17:53:24 schrieb Duncan:
> > Kristian Rink posted on Thu, 07 Feb 2013 12:39:26 +0100 as excerpted:
> > > another question related to nepomuk and semantic information:
> > Just letting you know the posts are making it and are being seen.
> >
> > I won't attempt to actually answer these questions as I have kde built
> > USE=-semantic-desktop (gentoo), here, disabling the features to the
> > extent possible,
>
> Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... So hope folks will be forgiving with me asking this
> question: Is actually anyone _really_ consciously using nepomuk and the
> semantic desktop? No offense, as I like this technology yet so far failed
> to really make meaningful use of it. Browsing the web however, it seems
> weblogs and web sites are nothing short of bashing nepomuk and outlining
> how to disable the "semantic stuff" in order to gain performance. The same
> time, KDE applications seem to just partly make use of what nepomuk can
> do. Is there any reason for that?

I think it is mostly a matter of required work. Most application developers
have quite a TODO list themselves and don't necessarily have the time to look
into what they could do with a given technology.

It might be that it will be new, small and specifically designed applications
that take advantage of those capabilities first.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring