syncing nepomuk metadata between hosts?

Kristian Rink kawazu428 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 10:13:43 GMT 2013

@all;

Am Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2013, 20:48:58 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> I think it is mostly a matter of required work. Most application developers
> have quite a TODO list themselves and don't necessarily have the time to
> look into what they could do with a given technology.
>
> It might be that it will be new, small and specifically designed
> applications that take advantage of those capabilities first.

Hmm, I see what you mean, in both points. As stated, I love the idea of the
semantic desktop as it actually (theoretically) adds quite a bunch of
interesting features I'd love to have/use. Unfortunately, at times I see the
implementation doesn't seem far enough to make meaningful use of these
features, which is a bit sad. I'm not complaining here as I'm in no way doing
anything to change this (and be it by working on KDE myself) and so I'm
possibly not entitled to complaints, yet I still hope one day there will be
smaller apps popping up allowing to make use of these features - or existing
ones, too.

My most painful example, being a digital photography enthusiast, is digikam
./. gwenview. gwenview is perfect for adding keywords to images but stores
these things to nepomuk exclusively, which is painful if you use images on
multiple machines (where you would like to have these things in EXIF/XMP
rather than in some host-dependent database). digikam does so, but entering
keywords in there is by far more clumsy - and it is not aware of nepomuk so
ultimately, entering keywords in digikam makes one end up with keywords stored
to the image files (good) yet not seen in any other KDE application including
dolphin or gwenview (not so good). I have been hacking a small python script
to sync this mess (iow read nepomuk keywords and write them back to the image
files), but ultimately it's manual work and a hack one would not deem
necessary. I surely hope this, one day, will change to allow for a consistent
workflow and consistent data, too... :|

Cheers,
Kristian