OT: Thunderbird Folder refresh needed

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Sun Oct 21 17:35:44 BST 2012

Klaus Vink Slott writes:

> On 2012-10-18 08:00, Martin (KDE) answered me:
> >> Thunderbird insists on downloading all mail from the IMAP or else
> >> you cant
> > Hu, no. You can monitor all folders and use server side filtering and
> > do not download all mails to a local store with thunderbird.
>
> What..?? ..I see that now. Has that always been there?  I remember
> searching for this feature sometime ago. Then I thought that was what
> "Subscribe" was for, but subscription made no difference.
>
> Anyway TB still seems to do a complete download of the entire folder
> first time you connect. Might be some in MUA spam checker or whatever.

Check the account's settings -> Synchronization & Storage. The default is
to have 'Keep messages for this account on this computer' enabled, this
makes Thunderbird download them all.

> > You have to
> > enable the check for every folder you want to watch (in preference
> > dialogue of the folder). At least I use it all the time (since I moved
> > from kmail to t-bird).

Or right-click on any folder and select 'Subscribe...' to quickly
subscribe to all the folders you want.

However, on Windows, not all folders are being checked for new mail. And
I had to unsubscribe to the 'Drafts' folder, or else it would hang while
checking folders, except when forcing the check manually.

> That was quite some work, I have many filters and folders. But now I
> have it working. (Had to leave Kmail again: After a week it stopped
> showing the message content in some folders. The message preview just
> stay blank - even after a logout/login)

KMail is weird :(

	Wonko