Lost desktop Was: Folder refresh needed

Mirko K. mirkok.lists at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:10:39 BST 2012

On 16.10.2012 13:14, Klaus Slott wrote:

> I just created a new folder and another soft link pointing to this. Then I
> made 2 "Folder View" widgets showing the content of these. Moving a file to
> this folder - it shows up immediately in both view.
>
> So my initial conclusion was obviously wrong. Looking closer at my "fix" I see
> that all Icons is now also displaying a ".desktop" in the name.

Indeed, that happens here too when I choose Select Folder. Still,
drag'n'drop seems to work fine.

> When I messed around with the Folder View I changed the view from "Vis
> Desktop-mappen/Show desktop" to "Angiv en mappe/Select folder". Notice the
> partial translation witch add to my confusion. By comparing with a user with a
> working Desktop I found that on a Danish version defaults to a folder called
> "Skrivebord".

Show Desktop should be the right choice for your desktop folder
"Skrivebord", provided it's correctly set as the desktop folder. See
below.

> Armed with this knowledge I logged out, moved both Desktop and Skrivebord out
> of the way and logged in again hoping this would trigger a rebuild. But no.
> Then I created a folder called ~/Skrivebord and placed a Folder View Widget on
> my Desktop, but KDE does not accept this new folder as "the Desktop" and shows
> the content of my ~/
>
> If I change settings for this Folder View to "Angiv en mappe/Select folder"
> and points it to ~/Skrivebord then the content of this folder is shown, but
> names of Icons still includes .desktop.
>
> I guess there is some setting somewhere in KDE which tells which folder to use
> as Desktop. But I cant find it.

That's in System Settings -> Account Details -> Paths which writes
to ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs and then probably calls
xdg-user-dirs-update.

Just some idea, but you might want to check if you've setup some
filters for the folderview. That can also look like as if the
folderview does not update.

HTH